Tuesday, September 6, 2011

unplugged.

I baptized my phone in Lake Bemidji today. It certainly was not intentional but in many ways, I think it was a good thing.

Also, internet is down at home. Again, I think this can be a good thing.

I decided to hit up the library to make a post on Facebook just in case anyone has been texting or calling me today just to let them know I'm not ignoring them. 

It kind of makes me laugh how dependant we are on technology to stay connected. It seems like the things that keep us "in touch" with others are all devices that need to be plugged in to stay charged up to make our connections possible.

Right now, although I am on a computer at the library for another 30 minutes, it kind of feels good to be unplugged. I'll expand on this in a bit.

But first, like I said, I didn't intentionally throw my phone into the lake today. It was just one of those moments. I smelled cigarette smoke and I was trying to turn around to see if someone was hovering above me or around me smoking. Not sure what I was going to do if that was the case. Probably just move. I dislike cigarette smoke and it was distracting me.

Anyway, as I tried to turn, that's when things went downhill. My eyes got huge as I tried to catch my little Droid as it slid off the rock and hung in air centimeters above the surface of the water. My headphone chord was, at that point, saving it from the water. But my phone was just a few ounces too heavy for the chord to bear the weight. It plopped in. I fished it out immediately and...well, I didn't swear...but my words weren't exactly praiseworthy words. I almost got mad about it but then I actually laughed a little bit.

Just earlier in the day I was reminded that I actually wanted to downgrade my phone because I don't really need all the fancy features of a smart phone and I could save some money. Although, my idea of downgrade didn't involve Lake Bemidji anywhere in the process, but oh well.

Also, I was listening to a song by United Pursuit Band as it took the plunge. The last words I heard in my ear were, "You are good, You always will be..."

God started to turn my attitude around.

And then I suddenly felt free being disconnected.

"Come away with Me," He whispered in my ear.

That's why I had gone down to the lake in the first place. It was a place to meet with God and just be still before Him. So much has been happening in the recent weeks. So much to thank Him for! So much to rejoice over! So much to try and take in. New life is springing up in this city. A new normal is forming. A changing season is underway.

I've said this before, but I love summer. When September came, it brought Autumn weather right along with it. It's not bad by any means. I just love summer! And so it makes me kind of sad seeing it's departure. 


The song, Every Season, that inspired this blog has a great line about the changing of summer to autumn. "I will offer thanks for what has been and what's to come. You are autumn." This is perfect for the changing of seasons right now.

The seasons change (weather-wise) is reflective of another changing season of life and journey with Christ. I moved to a new house for work. I changed from overnights to day shift. I'm starting Bemidji Area School of Transformation next week. New schedules. New relationships forming. Lots of learning. And growing. 

And God is moving mightily...

There are seriously stories daily of seeing Him transform lives here. And everytime something awesome happens, I keep hearing, "This is just the beginning..." WOW.

A new normal is developing. A new season of transformation and revival. It's incredibly amazing and also challenging at the same time. God is shifting things in my heart and surroundings. Being grounded and rooted is an emerging theme once again. Finding steadiness in Him is of utmost importance. Not running on fumes of the amazing stories, but running on the fuel He provides directly from secret time with Him is what is needed.

So now I'm unplugged from things that sometimes distract me and this afternoon has been good. Song of Songs swept me away.

Arise my darling, my beautiful one. Come with me...

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPuzJFzXgU4


    Can't get enough of this song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be unplugged. After reading this post yesterday I had a dream that I dropped my smart phone into a tub full of water.

    ReplyDelete