Saturday, July 28, 2012

detail-atten-hut.

I did not wake up today thinking I'd blog about marching band. In fact, I did not wake up thinking I would blog at all.

But here I am...writing about...marching band. Yyyep.

My amazing friend since 3rd grade, Amy, posted on my Facebook wall yesterday. This is what stirred up this whole marching band thing today. My senior year show was called "Summon the Future Heroes" - with music from Back to the Future and the Olympic theme song, "Summon the Heroes". Given that the opening ceremonies for the 2012 Summer Olympics occurred today, I'm guessing the song got in her head and then reminder her of the 2000 field show...and then she reminded me.

Thanks to YouTube, I found one video from my senior year Indoor. Too fun...



When I started high school I had my foot in the door of two worlds. Sports and music. I decided to focus on just one as I started high school. Music it was.

I grew up in a town that makes me proud to say I was a band geek. I totally was, too. I'm not ashamed to say it. Haha

Seriously though, my four years as a Marching Jay were more influential than I could have imagined they would be when I started as a freshmen.

There are certain things still ingrained in me because of that season of life.

Example #1: Sometimes when I run, I run in step with the song I'm listening to because it keeps me going at a certain pace. Here's the geeky part - I have to make sure I'm stepping down on my left foot on beats 1 and 3.

I can't help it.

Example #2: Hearing the song, "You'll Never Walk Alone", played by a band or drum corp gives me chills. Here are the 1993 Jays - this is how the season always ends at the Indoor. 


  
Example #3: Push ups always remind me of band. Yes, we did A LOT of push ups in marching band. Yay for strong arms. 

Example #4: Poker chips don't remind me of poker. They remind me of marching band. If that makes zero sense to you, I'm going to leave you wondering.

While these examples are true, they are are just kinda fun. However, there are a number of transforming influences from this season of life.

I learned much about hard work and discipline. Countless hours preparing, learning music, drill, waking up at sunrise, building team...all so valuable. I learned more about unity, focus, and pressing through challenges and conflict. This season was a big part of me stepping out as a leader. This time also had a profound impact in my faith journey.

One of my best band buddies was Leah. We both played clarinet so we spent a lot of time together. Her and her family loved on me extravagantly. Funny thing, it turned out we used to play together when we were much younger at the lake. My uncle had a cabin next to her and her family when we were little kids. Leah was home schooled until freshmen year so we didn't reconnect until we started marching band in 9th grade. God is good.

God worked through Leah to introduce me to Jesus. I gave my life to Christ during high school. I am so thankful for a friend who loved God, loved me, and listened to His leading, took risks, and made invitations that led to me coming into relationship with God, too...her modeling this has since inspired me.  

So there ya go...it's been a day of remembering many things. Amy, thanks for the post of my wall that reminded me of the good ol' times as a Marching Jay.

Past and present directors, students, parents, and community members - Thank you for being a part of establishing and carrying forth this amazing program in Waseca. It's so much more than a bunch of kids marching around on a football field or a high school gym floor. This program helps build character in the lives of young students. I was one of hundreds shaped by the important qualities of this program. Thank you!

Annnnnnd just for fun, just in case you are into this, here are a few more videos I found today.

Top Velocity was one of my favorite parts of the Indoor. It hi-lites visual creativity in marching. It's pretty cool, in my opinion. Then again, I was a marching band geek so of course I'm going to find this awesome. ;)

Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment